Neoseeker Daylight Savings Time Settings
As of October 2008, Neoseeker supports auto DST detection for the UK, Australia, Asia, and other major countries in Europe. Prior to this, UK and other EU users had to manually adjust the DST override >_<.
Users who are still experiencing improper DST detection should read through this document to understand how DST works. As a last resort you can still use the "Override" features to force DST on or off, otherwise their DST settings will follow the server default, which is the observe the North American DST start and end times.
Default DST Settings
Neoseeker's servers observe DST by default, using the North American start and stop times. If you edit your forum settings page and set it up properly you can enable Neoseeker to use your own Country's DST settings.
HOW-TO: DST Settings Outside of North America
Most users should do the following:
- Go to the bottom of your forum settings page.
- Make sure the DST setting is "Use server default"
- Set your proper timezone.
- Look at the country drop down, and select the proper country.
- Australia users MUST select a proper State for DST to work properly. In Australia DST settings are different for certain states. Neoseeker WILL properly use the DST setting according to your state's policies, but you must set the proper state in your profile in order for the site to know which set of rules to apply
Note: The Country/State selection is actually the exact same value as what you may have set in your User Profile editing page. The two affect the same setting. It is recommended you set these to the true country/state you are located in so that DST will operate correctly.
Which Countries Are Supported
Currently the following countries are KNOWN to work with auto-detection. If your country also works properly please add it here.
- US, Canada and most countries that follow the US DST system
- Australia (all territories)
- Russian Federation
- Italy (added Jan 23 2009)
- Spain (added Jan 23 2009)
- Netherlands (fixed Jan 16 2009)
- Sweden (added Jan 23 2009)
- Belgium (added Jan 23 2009)
- Romania (added Jan 23 2009)
- Brazil (added Jan 23 2009)
- New Zealand (added Jan 23 2009)
- Greenland (added Jan 23 2009) - partial support: DST will take effect around the correct days but the time will be off around half a day or so.
The following countries are supported as of Jan 16 2009 and are known to have no DST:
- Netherlands Antilles
- South Korea (added Jan 23 2009)
- Taiwan (added Jan 23 2009)
- Pakistan (added Jan 23 2009)
- Nigeria (added Jan 23 2009)
- South Africa (added Jan 23 2009)
- China (added Jan 23 2009)
- Cameroon (added Jan 23 2009)
- Zimbabwe (added Jan 23 2009)
- Sierra Leone (added Jan 23 2009)
- India (added Jan 23 2009)
Precision: The Exact Hour DST Turns On and Off
Daylight Savings is very tricky in that many countries (and even parts within a country) have different time of day when Daylight Savings turns on and off. Neoseeker is quite accurate with this in that we try to support the EXACT turnover time, however, it is possible that the DST will either trigger an hour late or an hour early.
Most of you will not notice this being a problem (late night owls will probably notice it more :)). If you do experience this please help us out by giving us a detailed report in the forum including exactly what time you were expecting it to change and WHEN it actually changed!